Web, Native and Hybrid Apps - Which Platform Gives Long-Lasting Success?
Mobile apps have changed the way businesses grow. These have become a lifeline for companies and businesses which gives enhanced user experience and there is a rapid growth in the number of mobile applications around the App stores and Play stores.
Are you planning to develop a long-lasting mobile app?
Which type of app to choose?
Native, Web, or Hybrid App?
It is a million-dollar question- which platform to choose whether native, web, or hybrid? All have different underlying technologies with their benefits. Which is right is a relative proposition. Let us see how.
Choosing the right type of app is the first and foremost step that a businessman should look for since there are several unsuccessful apps. This is due to the lack of profound knowledge of app development environments, its platforms, and its use case.
Let us dive deep into each platform and explore each type of application with its pros and cons for better understanding.
"choose a type of mobile application that meets your business requirements, not your budget constraints. "
Popular mobile OS platforms:
1. Native App Development
In this platform, apps are designed and developed for a specific platform either Android or iOS. It uses different codes for both Operating System (OS) platforms. Both OS have different SDKs (software development kit) and different frameworks. Native SDKs allow the developers to access all the device features.
e.g. Twitter, Pokemon Go
- Android: The applications for this OS platform can be built using Java, C++, and Kotlin programming languages. The apps use development tools like Android SDK which is equipped with Android Studio and Android IDE (integrated development environment). You can design Android apps with the help of a native app development company that also uses third-party solutions for Android app development. Google Play is the App download platform for this OS-based app.
- iOS: The applications for this OS platform can be built on iOS SDK using Swift or Objective-C. And for the Windows platform, it uses .NET. A Mac device is needed for the iOS platform to develop native mobile apps. Play Store is the App download platform for this OS-based app.
- Quality assurance
- Native UI/UX
- Fast and reliable
- Better Performance
- Responsive and robust
- Flexible and versatile
- Access to OS built-in features like camera and GPS.
1. Requires more time:
- Native app development needs to put efforts on each platform like writing code, fixing bugs, and updates. It consumes more time in developing.
- We need to upgrade all the platform codes and the latest versions frequently.
2. Including the same features on different codes is always a challenging one.
3. Needs different platform-based developers
4. All these make it expensive.
2. Web App Development
e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
- Simple to build since no need for specific SDK.
- Fast development
- Limited access to mobile's features
- Requires internet connection
- Ad blockers
3. Hybrid App Development
e.g. YELP AND INSTAGRAM
- Requires less number of developers than native app developers
- Requires single code with minor changes from OS to OS
- Reach global audience
- No ad blocks
- Limited Performance
Comparisons Between Web, Native and Hybrid App
Have a look at this table below with the major comparisons for your easy understanding.
|Codebase||Multiple||Single||Single with minor changes|
|Framework||Xamarin, PhoneGap, Ionic||Ruby on Rails, Django, Angular, ASP.NET, MeteorJS||React Native|
|Device||Dependent on device OS||Not dependent on OS||Operates as native and web app|
|Examples||Pokemon Go||Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari||Facebook, Yelp, Instagram|
|Applications||Animation, Graphical Applications, HD games||News, weather, currency converters, e-commerce, banks, etc.||All types of businesses and content delivery platforms|
|Performance||Fast||Moderate||Slower than native and web apps|
Factors That Influence your Decision Are
You need to understand and evaluate these factors before going for the right one among native, web, hybrid, and cross-platform app development.
- Target audience and their used platforms
- Objective and goals (features)
- Use case and its competition (type and scale of business)
- App marketplace (Google Play/App Store)
- Availability of online and offline
- Availability of advertisements
- Available Time and Budget
Start with one platform and test the results with the analytics and based on that, expand your business by adopting all types of mobile platforms. It helps in avoiding hefty sums on unnecessary things.
To sum up, developing a mobile app is a crucial decision since the success of your business depends on it. All these can fulfill the different needs of a business. So, contact a web app development company that helps you in choosing the type of application that suits your business, just not your budget alone while keeping the security focus.